When most people get interested in beginning an exercise program, their primary concern is usually what will be the absolute least amount of work they need to put in to get noticeable results. It can be hard to have the motivation to start especially for those that have been sedentary for a long period. Reasons such as lack of time, not knowing what to do or how often, can all be obstacles to overcome.
New studies show that that older woman just starting a new exercise regime can be pleasantly surprised at the results.
The American College of Sports Medicine investigated the effects of three different combinations of aerobic exercise and resistance training. 72 previously sedentary, unfit older women between the ages of 60-74 were monitored over the course of 16 weeks.
• 1 + 1 day per week of each of aerobic and resistance training
• 2 + 2 day per week of each of aerobic and resistance training
• 3 + 3 day per week of each of aerobic and resistance training
The study noted how the regime influenced muscular strength, cardiovascular fitness, as well as things like feelings of fatigue and depression. The results were certainly not what most were to expect.
• All groups significantly increased their aerobic capacity, but the study observed no statistical differences among the 1+1, 2+2 and 3+3 groups.
• All groups significantly lost weight, reduced body fat and gained muscle, but the study found no statistical differences among the 1+1, 2+2 and 3+3 groups.
• Leg press and bench press strength increased significantly, with no statistical differences among the 1+1, 2+2 and 3+3 groups.
• Measures of fatigue, depression, and vigor improved during the 16 weeks, there were no statistically significant differences among the three groups.
The findings of this study tell us that implementing an exercise routine that includes resistance and aerobic training conducted even once a week could improve muscular strength, body composition and cardiovascular fitness as successfully as training more frequently could. If you want to start improving your health and your quality of life you don’t need to become a triathlete. It can be as simple as just committing a few hours a week.
Book a strength training session at Yin Yang Yoga Loft today. We’ll help you utilize your own body weight as well as an assortment of props to start building muscle and burning fat!
Want to challenge your body and mind? Come and join our Boot Camp class to increase strength and improve flexibility in a supportive group setting!